Track Record of Success in Workers’ Compensation Law
All Firm Shareholders have completed the educational and practical requirements and passed the written examination in workers’ compensation administered by the California State Bar to earn a Certificate of Specialization in Workers’ Compensation. Additionally, we are proud to note that we have a proven track record of success spanning over four decades and we are well respected by judges and our colleagues.
Main Areas of Practice:
• Workers’ Compensation Defense
• Labor Code Section 132a
• Serious and Willful Misconduct
• Subrogation/Third Party Claims
• Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act
OTHER LEGAL SERVICES
PHG has achieved excellent results representing clients on Labor Code section 132a Petitions, Serious and Willful Misconduct Petitions, uninsured employer cases, fraud workup and recovery, preparation of Medical Provider Networks, Industrial Disability Retirement, and OSHA citations.
- Appellate Department – Appellate practice before the WCAB, California District Courts of Appeal and the California Supreme Court, to include writs and Petitions for Reconsideration
- State Audit Assistance – Support throughout the audit process, from pre-review of claims through completion of the audit
- File Reviews – Regular meetings with both clients and brokers to discuss claim progression and to assist with formation of results directed plans of action
- Training – Engaging and informative training sessions, both via webinar and in person. Topics have included 5814 and 5813 Penalties/State Audit Referrals, Utilization Review and Independent Medical Review, the AME/PQME Process, Case Law Updates
Patrico, Hermanson & Guzman, A P.C. is California’s leading workers’ compensation defense law firm. We are dedicated to providing superior client service with swift and effective case resolution. For over 40 years, we have successfully provided workers’ compensation representation for insurance carriers, employers, staffing firms, PEOs, brokers, TPAs, and government entities. It is our mission to provide effective case resolution, quality file management, and client satisfaction to each and every client partner.
History of Serving Our Clients For Over 40 Years
Since 1974, PHG Law and our predecessor law firms has specialized in the representation of employers and insurance carriers with respect to work-related injuries before the California Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board, the California Courts of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of California. PHG Law also litigates subrogation matters and ancillary claims before the Superior Courts of California and the appellate courts. In addition, PHG represents employers in occupational safety and heacertificatlth matters before the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health. The Firm appears at Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board district offices throughout California.
Our senior management team works together to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Firm. Overall management of the Firm is handled by attorneys Joseph Patrico and Sean Hermanson in our San Diego office. Each of our offices has an onsite managing attorney: the Inland Empire (Riverside) office is managed by Lauren Ponsford, the Orange County (Santa Ana) office by Christopher Herritt, the Bay Area (Burlingame) office by Michael Wang, the Salinas office by Martin Guzman, the Sacramento office by David Lopez, the Los Angeles office by Iliana Guzman Castro, and the Oxnard office by William Healy.
PHG works with insurance carriers, TPAs, permissibly self-insured employers, and government entities. PHG maintains a cutting edge position within the community. The Firm’s attorneys helped shape the workers’ compensation legislation of past years, always with a clear concern for employer rights. The Firm provides legal services to assist employers and insurance carriers to comply with requirements of newly enacted legislation and regulations. PHG offers advice and counsel in developing employer/insurer programs designed to enhance employee safety and cut workers’ compensation costs.